Active RFID Readers
Active RFID Explained
Active RFID uses 2.4 GHz microwaves for the auto-ID of people and assets at longer distances (1-1500 meters) than short-range passive (1-30 cm) or semi-passive RFID tags (1-3 meters). Like any other type of RFID system, a tag, a reader and a software application/database are all required to make an active RFID system functional.
An active RFID tag is equipped with a small battery inside that is used to power the tag circuitry. Sometimes that tag battery can be replaced to extend the life of the tag. The active RFID tag emits a signal about every 500 milliseconds (can be factory adjusted) that is picked up by the reader when the tag and reader are in set range of each other.
Read distance is normally attenuated using the software on the reader side of the system. Some of our readers are offered with directional or omni-directional antennas that allow the user to create specific reading zones. This is very useful for applications where a choke point at an entry/exit door or a loading bay is needed to check people and assets and perform real-time security monitoring as they come and go from a facility.
Our readers typically read up to 200 tags at one time. As the signals emitted from the tags are not synchronized, many more that 200 tags can be read in the space of a few seconds.
- Long distance reading of up to 1500 meters
- Capable of operating in rugged environments for years at a time
- Suited to many types of applications
- Tag cannot function without battery power. This limits the lifetime of the tag.
- Tag can seem expensive at USD 10 or more each but cost-to-benefit can be very high depending on the application
- Tag size can be large due to inner circuitry and not suit some applications
- Maintenance costs for an active RFID tag can add up if batteries are replaced
- Dead tag battery could result in misreads
Pair our readers with cost-effective 2.4 GHz active RFID tags that are equipped with a long-life battery and can usually be customized to suit your special requirements. Select the right active RFID tag for your project from our broad range of tag shapes and sizes for active RFID applications that range from asset management and access control to manufacturing, security and people tracking applications.
- RFID for Asset Security
- RFID for Asset Tracking
- RFID for Vehicle Toll Collection
- RFID for Vehicle Access Control
- RFID for Container Management
- RFID for Construction or Building Sites
- RFID for Patient Wandering Applications
- RFID for People Tracking and Access Control
- RFID for Manufacturing and Production Management